Funding for Special Educational Needs

Alongside being a traditional, small, family-owned independent school, Riverston has invested in and developed a significant expertise in supporting a range of children, for example:

  • with mild to moderate speech, language and communication challenges - for example dyslexia, or as maybe shown by children with Aspergers Syndrome or other Autistic Spectrum Disorders;
  • who maybe anxious, unhappy or unsettled, or who struggle to progress in larger schools

To find out more about our very special, multi-disciplinary approach to helping children, please click through to our Additional Learning Support page

As part of our Riverston School provision for every child, we are able to make the following types of adjustment to our teaching for those children who need some extra help:

  • the development of an individual Riverston education plan for that child;
  • adjustments made by the teacher to help the student access the teaching, for example differentiated lessons, use of different font sizes, and seating position in the class, working in smaller groups, and/or help taking part in classroom activities;
  • extra help or encouragement in the class, for example to ask questions or to try something they find difficult;
  • help communicating with other students

For those students needing extra help, the Government has introduced the Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.  This is available for children and young people aged up to 25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support.

You can ask your Local Authority to carry out an assessment if you think your child needs an EHC plan.  The school can also make that request, but we would discuss it with you before doing so.  A Local Authority has 6 weeks to decide whether or not to carry out an EHC assessment, and if they do do then you'll usually find out within 16 weeks whether or not an EHC plan is going to be made for your child.

Further information is available on the Government website at:

Riverston also has significant experience in supporting such applications - please contact our Head of SEN or Mr Phillip Salathiel, Deputy Head.